A few weeks ago, I made a pavlova for my mum's birthday. I wasn't planning doing a blog post on it, but after posting some photos on my Instagram and Twitter, loads of you asked for one! So, I apologise in advance for the quality of the photos as I only had the ones from Instagram, but here it is as requested!
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment. Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy. Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
- Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle. Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
I used the meringue recipe from BBC Good Food but I decided to make up my own topping. I went for a classic combination; strawberries and cream. I was worried it might be a bit boring but it turned out amazingly and the simplicity was what made it so fantastic.
For the topping
- 300/350ml whipping cream/double cream (I used whipping cream)
- A BIG punnet of strawberries
- Whisk the cream with a hand whisk until it forms peaks, then spread over the centre of the meringue evenly.
- Chop the strawberries into halves/quarters and arrange them on top of the cream. (Some strawberries were harmed in the making of this pavlova, i.e. I ate them)
And it really is that simple! I think some people have the misconception that Pavlova is really difficult but it's actually one of the easiest things you can make. My family were really impressed with it and I didn't have the heart to tell them how simple it was!
If you decide to have a go at making this pavlova, I'd love to see your pictures! Tweet them to me (@joiedejodie) or tag me on Instagram (@jodievoss)!
Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me!
Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Tumblr